I'm a mountain gal. I've skied down them, climbed up them and lived among them my whole life, first in the northeastern U.S. and now in the northern Rockies. I'm the author of 10 books, including 7 hiking guidebooks. I've trekked throughout many parts of the world. Through my media work, I encourage people to get outdoors. I currently contribute to 30+ magazines and web sites, such as Appalachia, Adirondack Explorer, Wyoming Wildlife and Colorado Outdoors, on various outdoor activities, adventure travel destinations and conservation topics.
- Watching my son grow into a competent hiker, backpacker, skier and outdoorsman.
- Marrying my husband, Jack!
- Standing on top of big mountains like Kilimanjaro, the Grand Teton and Mount Rainier
- Harvesting my first bull elk (2017)
- Skiing champagne powder up to my waist anywhere, any time!
- Catching, tagging and releasing an 800-pound tuna
- 3 Emmy's for Wildlife Journal (PBS)
- Surpassed 100 U.S Alpine Masters Skiing Championships in 2018!
- 2018 Masters World Champion in Slalom and Super-G
My favorite movies are The Lord of the Rings series. Talk about an epic trek!
What are you looking forward to?
Climbing Granite Peak this summer, tallest mountain in Montana (12,807). I've lived in Montana for 8 years and need to stand on top of its tallest mountain!
What’s an interesting trip/climb/expedition where you’ve taken your LOWAs?
There's been so many! I have LOWAs on my feet every day. How about hiking up Dial and Nippletop Mountains last fall, an epic 14-miler in the Adirondacks that most hikers ignore? Mud up to my knees, but worth it for the incredible views of the Great Range, and the lack of crowds. Heavenly.
My favorite LOWAs:
The Renegades! They’re lightweight, comfortable, waterproof, versatile, great fitting, durable, good-looking... they're still my go-to boots for day hikes and for traveling when I don't know what I'm going to get into terrain-wise with a light pack.