I learned my appreciation of the mountains from my parents at an early age. In 1986, I began teaching courses in the outdoors while working at Adventure 16. In 1995, I started SMI, Inc. in the Sierra guiding climbs in my favorite mountain range that I grew up in. We now organize climbs worldwide in addition to guiding mountaineering, peak ascents, rock climbing, ski touring, ice climbing and backpacking trips in the Sierra. I’m married to my wife Kelly and we have one son, Asher.
- Professional mountain guide for 33 years
- 3 time Everest summiter via 2 different routes
- Climbed all Seven Summits, most multiple times
- Led 122 expeditions to peaks in Africa, Alaska, the Alps, Antarctica, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Turkey, and the Himalayas.
- Expert mountain guiding and instruction in the Sierra and worldwide in:
- Peak ascents
- Rock climbing
- Ski touring
- Ice climbing
What are you looking forward to?
Introducing my son Asher to the mountains and enjoying family trips together.
Tell us about an interesting trip/climb/expedition where you’ve taken your LOWAs:
Wow so many to choose from. I recently guided a climb of Mt. Kazbek (5047m/16558’) in the Caucasas range in the country of Georgia. I wore my trusty Latok’s. It was remote, beautiful, and a very enjoyable climb!
What are your favorite LOWAs – and where have you taken them?
- Expedition 8000 (Mt. Everest & Denali)
- Latok for mountaineering, snow and glacier climbs
- Weisshorn for ice climbing and mountaineering
- Approach Pro for scrambling on alpine 3rd, 4th, and low 5th class peak ascents
- Falco Lace for alpine rock climbing