I am a professional climber and pilot and have devoted my life to the mountains. Whether climbing rock, ice, or flying above them, I strive for “full value adventure and self exploration.” Over the 30 last years, I have found the greatest rewards in focusing on attempting new routes in the greater ranges. First ascents on the NW face of Mt. Grosvenor in the Daxue Shan range of western China and of the south face of Brammah II in the Kashmir Himalaya are two recent highlights.
I am also a hang glider pilot, wing suit BASE jumper, professional paraglider pilot and a father. When I am not climbing or flying, I am a philanthropist, conservationist and a master falconer.
- Pneuma – AI4 M5+ ca 1300m (First ascent of south face), Brammah II, Kashmir Himalaya, India
- Black Wolves and Blue Poppies - M5+ WI4+ AI6 ca 1300m (First ascent- 3rd ascent of peak), Mt. Grosvenor, China
- Thunder Ridge Direct 5.8 AI4 1200m- Denali, AK
- Chaos Theory IV M5+WI5+400m (First Ascent), North Face Mt. Edwards – Glacier Park, MT
- Shades of Gray IV 5.7AI4+1160m (First ascent), North Face Mt. Jackson- Glacier Park, MT
- Iron Son VI 5.9 A4+, El Capitan, Yosemite
- 46&2 M7+ WI6 (First Ascent), South Face Mt. Brown- Glacier Park, MT
- Arborist 5.13c (First Ascent), Kootenai Canyon, MT
- Represented US in World Hang Gliding Championships '09-'11
- PanAmerican Paragliding Championships – US team 1st place serial class
- 2018 X-Pyr
Fun Fact: My favorite food group is Sweet Chili Sauce
What are you looking forward to?
I'm most looking forward to combining my passion for flying and climbing. My dream is to fly, self-supported, into the mountains for multiple days....top landing and camping along the way and re-launching to continue in the mornings toward a base camp. From there, I want to climb a new route on a remote and unclimbed peak and then fly my way back out of the mountains.
Interesting trip/climb/expedition where I've taken my LOWA's:
I got to take a boat across Prince William Sound in Valdez, AK with Marcus Garcia where we got to get out onto a black sand beach and do the first ascent of the “Raven”, a 500' WI5 in one of the most unique and spectacular of places either of us had climbed ice!
My favorite LOWAs:
My favorite boot is the new Alpine Ice GTX (those boots are AWESOME!) and my favorite shoe right now is the Aerox GTX Lo Surround.
“Is it even possible to fly cross country via paragliders above the Arctic Circle?”
To find out, Cody Tuttle and Jeff Shapiro set off to hike and fly across Alaska's Brooks Range, one of the wildest areas left on earth. Check out their adventure here: