I first went climbing when a college lab partner asked me to climb after class and, instantly, I was hooked. Under the pretense of finishing school at CSU, I moved to Colorado to rock climb. There I took an outdoor education class in ice climbing. I moved around for several years, working for and climbing in various National Parks and Forests (Grand Teton, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Tongass) and in 2006 I moved to Portland, OR where I obtained my M.S. in Geography. The mountains of Colorado called me back and in 2012, I moved to Ouray to focus primarily on ice climbing. It was there I discovered mixed climbing and dry tooling which has been one of my passions ever since. When I’m not climbing, I can be found trail running and skiing. And if I'm resting, you can be sure that Lola, my cat, is sitting in my lap.
- Multiple First Ascents (Fas) in Iceland (partner Kitty Calhoun Feb 2014):
- Freyja, WI 5, 70m, Innrihvilft valley, FA: Beth and Kitty
- Loki, WI 5, 68m, Innrihvilft valley, FA: Kitty and Beth
- Arctic Foxes, WI 4, 45m, Fifustadadalur valley, FA: Kitty and Beth
- Pink Panther, WI 5-, 45m, Fifustadadalur valley, FA: Beth and Kitty
- Unfinished, Ytrihvilft valley, Beth and Kitty
- Ouray, CO. Somewhere Over the Rainbow 5.10 WI4 M11 PG13, 2014 FA: Nelson, Goralski
- Ouray CO, Almost Somewhere WI6, M8, FA: Goralski, Nelson 2015
- Ouray, Colorado. The Talisman WI6 M6
- Telluride CO, Bridalveil Falls WI5+ (multiple ascents 5-6xs)
- Telluride CO Ames Falls WI5 M6
- Vail CO: King Cobra M10+/11-,
- Resurrection M7R WI5, Built for Comfort M9+, For the Ladies M9, Amphibian M8, Red Bull and Vodka M11, 7th Tenticle, 7th Chakra, Little Thang, the Mauling M8
- DTS training: M8, M9, M10, all DTS (dry tool style, no inversions).
- Blob, blob blob, Yoho National Park M6 WI5+
- Pilsner Pillar, Unknown M7 WI5
- 1st Place Women’s Speed Comp Ouray 2018
- 1st Place Women’s Speed Comp Ouray 2016
- 2nd Place Women’s Speed Comp Ouray 2017
- 4th Place Women’s Mixed Elite Comp Ouray 2018
- 5th Place Women’s Mixed Elite Comp Ouray 2017
- 1st Place City Rock DryTooling Competition 2015
- 1st Place Portland Alpine Festival Comp 2011
- Competed in the UIAA World Cup Ice Climbing Comps 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
I gave a poster presentation about the accretion of matter around a black hole at the International Astrophysics Union (IAU) meeting in 1999 as a junior in college.
I’m looking forward to:
…traveling with my partner, David Roetzel, to Europe to climb. But I'm lucky to have Vail, Colorado as my backyard playground. Most winter weekends, I can be found dangling upside down in the East Vail amphitheater.
My favorite LOWAs:
…are my Latok boots. They’re like warm, fuzzy slippers that strap into my crampons and keep my toes safe! My feet have always been warm and toasty when wearing them and that's one my primary concerns when ice climbing---warmth and comfort!